1. Recommend an Angel
Your office can submit through the CCAI online form an “Angel” recommendation that you would like our CCAI Angel in Adoption® selection committee to consider. To find a recommendation, use the state resources provided under the “For Members of Congress” tab which lists governmental and non-governmental foster care and adoption related organizations. Additional options for finding a selection include calling foster care and adoption-related agencies and asking constituents for input on potential awardees. Recommendations can be individuals, couples, entire families or organizations.
2. Complete the Angels in Adoption® Online Recommendation Form
After you confirm with your Member of Congress and determine that the recommendation is a good fit, please enter your Angel recommendation into our online form to notify CCAI of your submission. To do so, click the “For Members of Congress” box located on the right hand column of the homepage. You must provide all information that CCAI will need to present the award. This information includes:
- Name of the person, couple, or organization you are submitting for CCAI to consider as an “Angel” awardee. If your recommendation is an organization, please provide a contact person for coordinating details of the organization’s Angels in Adoption® program. You will also need to include contact information for the submission including: mailing address, phone number (home and mobile), fax number (if available), and e-mail address.
- An “Angel’s Story” for the Angels in Adoption® program. Each year our program includes a brief paragraph about each Angel and the reasons they are receiving the Angel Award. This should not exceed 325 words and should be written in third person. In the paragraph you submit, include their journey in becoming an advocate in the adoption or foster care field and any notable work they have done for adoption or foster children.
- General contact information for your office including: name of Member of Congress; staff contact(s) for the Angels in Adoption® program in DC (at least one person should be from the DC office); and the names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of your Member’s DC Press Secretary and Scheduler.
- CCAI will send notification of your submission and will let you know if your recommendation is ultimately selected as an Angels in Adoption® in mid August. After CCAI contacts you to let you know that your submission was selected as an Angel, we suggest waiting a week before you place a follow up congratulatory phone call or send a letter so that they have a chance to read the official Angels in Adoption® letter sent by CCAI.
3. Mark Your Member's Calendar
- September 20, 2016 // 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm: Angels in Adoption® Congressional Luncheon (US Representatives are highly encouraged to attend) (Cannon Caucus Room). The presentation of the Angels in Adoption® pins is the most special moment for the Angels; they are recognized in a graduation-type ceremony by their Member of Congress. Each Angel is presented with a pin and certificate on behalf of their selflessness and dedication.
- September 21, 2016 // 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm: Angels in Adoption® Reception and Gala (Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center, 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW). Angels in Adoption®, Members of Congress and the Administration, as well as representatives from the adoption and foster care community gather to celebrate the Angels and the children they help serve.
From here on out, CCAI will work to communicate with your constituent regarding all Angels in Adoption® events and all other details pertaining to their travel and stay in Washington, DC. Participation and attendance at the Angel in Adoption® events are encouraged for your Member of Congress. We will also send you important information surrounding the events and stop by your office to get your Member’s signature on the Angels in Adoption® congratulatory letter.